WHAT IS THIS ABOUT?
This is a collection of local events in Exeter and Devon that raise awareness, express solidarity and stimulate action to end Domestic & Sexual Violence & Abuse (DSVA).
It is hoped that people will attend an event themselves and/or suggest someone they know does. Everyone has a role in the social context in which DSVA occurs. Often people do not have an opportunity to explore and understand the issues.
WHAT IS 16 DAYS?
It is a global campaign that starts with the UN’s International Day of the Elimination of Violence Against Women (IDEVAW) [Day1] and finishes with International Human Rights Day [Day 16].
DOES DSVA ONLY AFFECT WOMEN AND GIRLS?
No, anyone can be affected – but it is well recognised to be a gendered issue. Violence and Abuse is both a cause and a consequence gender inequality.
FIND OUT MORE AND JOIN IN LOCAL EVENTS –
The event below will all have links added shortly – for now they can be found in the side menu
Most 2016 events are FREE and include:
Events for anyone and everyone
- A Workshop on the nature of Coercive control Day 4 Monday 28th Nov
- A Workshop on the emotional challenges of parenting – Day 7 Thursday 1st Dec
- A ‘Reclaim The Night’ match and rally – Day 14 Thursday 8th December
- A display in the (co)lab foyer over the 16 days SEE DETAILS
- A talk about sexual abuse – everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask – Day 7 Thursday 1st Dec
- A workshop to help recognise child exploitation in Devon – Day 14 Thursday 8th December 2016
- A healing mediation session – Day 13 Wednesday 7th Dec
- A Conference promoting the healthy development of boys & young men -This Event is now FREE – Day 1 Friday 25th November 2016
- An arts and wellbeing drop in day – Day 9 Saturday 3rd Dec
- the launch of ‘more positive me’ –Day 8 & Day 15
- A fundraising cream tea –Day 12 Tuesday 6th Dec
- A remembrance event – for victim of domestic abuse –21st November
- A drop by stand at Exeter Farmers Market –Day 8 Friday 2nd Dec
- A nurturing Qi-gong, coffee and cake event.-Day 11 Monday 5th Dec
Professional workshops/training events
- On the role of therapeutic horsemanship for those affected by DSVA –Day 4
- On Sex and intimacy after sexual abuse – Day 9
…..for more events and details please look through the days (in the menu bar)
“Break the Silence. When you witness violence against women and girls. do not sit back. Act”
(Ban Ki-Moon, UN Secretary general)
Domestic & Sexual Violence & Abuse (DSVA) is a whole community issue – so common it is not news worthy – so uncomfortable it is avoided and or hidden – a gendered issue – a social taboo.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE/ABUSE IS… any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.
SEXUAL VIOLENCE IS… any unwanted sexual act or activity, including but not restricted to: rape, sexual assault, child sexual abuse, sexual harassment, rape within marriage/relationships, forced marriage, so-called honour-based violence, female genital mutilation, trafficking, sexual exploitation, and ritual abuse.
WHO IS BEHIND THIS?
The Exeter DSVA (Domestic & Sexual Violence & Abuse) Forum – which is an independent group of professional individuals and specialist DSVA organisations – has drawn these events together. The forum has a connection to Exeter’s Community Safety Partnership.
If you would like to be involved in hosting an event during next years 16 days please leave your details at the (co)lab welcome desk and someone will be in contact